Thursday, May 26, 2011

The Mouse Spider and Other Summer Fun

Summer is nearly upon us and along with the joys of cookouts, vacations, and warm weather, we also have the potential risk of receiving visits from unwanted intruders. I don't mean your husband's relatives, but rather the threat of critters with eight legs. You may be asking yourself: Is there such a thing as a mouse spider? Honestly I'm not sure, but that is the name I've attributed to the invader I found in my home the other day.
I was sitting on my couch, minding my own business, when suddenly I caught a glimpse of a dark object scurrying across the floor in the next room. My immediate reaction based on the size of the creature was MOUSE!!! However, upon further investigation, I discovered this was no mouse, but the biggest spider ever to have the audacity to invade my home! Now one thing you must understand is that I have a severe dislike--no, hatred, for spiders. The thought of them gives me shivers up my spine and gives me that prickly feeling on the back of my neck. As the thoughts of how to either kill or trap this uninvited guest scrambled through my head, the intruder evaded capture by hiding itself under my desk. I searched for it, but to no avail.
Later that evening I told my husband about this massive critter, but I couldn't help but feel that he just didn't understand how horrific this spider was. Based on the half smile and unbelieving chuckle he gave me, I believe he really thought I was exaggerating!
The next evening my mom came over to watch our daughter, Isabelle, while my husband and I went out. When we returned, my mom exclaimed that she had killed the biggest spider ever!! "Ha!" I said to my husband, "See, I wasn't exaggerating!" My poor mother hates spiders as much as I do so I felt for her. She said it was so big she didn't know if she could handle killing it. I'll spare you the gruesome details, but it wasn't a pretty death. This spider came to its unfortunate demise, but it's possible it had friends who would not think twice about finding dwelling in my house. I share this story as a warning to all of you to be on watch for these unwanted visitors. Summer is fun, but it can be deadly. Well for spiders anyway.
On a lighter note, if your husband's relatives are planning to drop in for a cookout, be ready to impress them with these DIY cocktail umbrellas found on diylife.com from the June issue of Country Living magazine. If your husband's relatives are anything like mine, you may be needing a cocktail by the time the weekend is through!
And to keep the kids happy, here's a cute idea for a DIY beehive pinata. Also found on diylife.com from Country Living magazine, this adorable project can be done for around $10!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...